Paleo Protein Samoa Cookie
1 ½ cups blanched almond flour
1/4 tsp fine grain sea salt
1/3 cup coconut oil refined, melted
1/4 cup pure maple syrupCaramel:
1 can full fat coconut milk
1 scoop Bowmar Nutrition Salted Carmel egg white protein
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
large Pinch fine grain sea saltRemaining Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups coconut flakes divided
1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
(Optional) Additional ½ cup dark chocolate chips if you want to add a chocolate bottom to your cookie.
- Stir together all crust ingredients in a mixing bowl. Chill the dough for 30 minutes while you prepare the “caramel”.
- For your “caramel”: Combine the coconut milk and Bowmar Nutrition Salted Carmel Protein in a medium saucepan over medium heat and whisk, bringing to a boil. Once boiling, continue to stir occasionally and cook over med heat for about 15 minutes (it should be bubbling but not overflowing) until the mixture is reduced, Make sure you continue to whisk while cooking to avoid burning.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and salt. Set aside to cool a bit until ready to use. You can also make the caramel ahead of time and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- While the caramel cools, preheat your oven to 350° Line an 8 x 8” baking pan with parchment paper on the bottom and an inch up the sides. Press the chilled dough into the bottom of the lined baking pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until set and just beginning to turn light brown. Mine was roughly 15 minutes before I liked how it looked. Remove from oven and set on a wire rack to cool.
Assemble the Bars:
Optional step: toast the coconut. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add all the coconut flakes. Cook, stirring occasionally to avoid burning, until beginning to turn light brown (2-3 minutes) then immediately transfer to a bowl to avoid burning.
Optional step: Flip your cooled crust upside down. Melt roughly half a cup dark chocolate chips in a microwave safe dish in 20 second increments- stirring between. Once completely melted spread a thin layer of dark chocolate over the entire bottom. Place in fridge or freezer to harden. cooling took roughly 10-15 minutes with a thin layer. Once chocolate is hardened flip over with chocolate side down and add your “caramel” topping.
- After the “caramel” has partially cooled, stir in 1 cup of the coconut flakes. Spread this mixture all over the cooled crust. Sprinkle the remaining coconut over the top.
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave safe dish in 20-second increments, stirring in between. Drizzle the melted chocolate over the chilled bars (before cutting, allow the chocolate to harden, then cut into 12-16 squares to serve. Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 1 week, or freeze for up to 1 month. Enjoy!
Note: with the “caramel” topping; if you chose to spread the layer thin you will have enough to cover two crusts.
Nutrition Per Cookie (May Vary)
**I chose to do a thin layer of topping and made a second crust to use the remainder. Numbers are reflecting using half of the topping on one crust.
9.2 G Fat
8.5 G Carb
4.7 G Protein
4.5 G Sugar
Bowmar Salted Caramel
Recipe Submitted by Alpha Team Member Brittney Cox.